This week’s distractions: 19 August
Image from Usbourne
Here are the links we've been loving this week. We've been enjoying reading some interesting articles and getting excited over some new movie trailers, plus maybe a bit of shopping... ssh don't tell.
- Holly Bourne, author of the Spinster Club series, talks about her latest novel What's a Girl Gotta Do?, feminism and calling out sexism.
- This article about ‘The detectives who never forget a face’ is a really interesting read about CCTV and a new department of ‘super-recognizers’ in the Met.
- The trailer for La La Land from writer and director Damien Chazelle, who wrote Whiplash, was released this week. The film stars one of our favourite on screen duos, Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling. Set in Los Angeles, this is a musical about everyday life that explores the joy and pain of pursuing your dreams. It looks colourful, dreamy and romantic and we can't wait to watch it.
- Google Fonts fully rolled out their new interface design and it's an absolute pleasure to look at and a joy to use.
- We found How Kapow, a bright, colourful shop filled with fun prints, gifts and homeware.
- The trailer for Zoom was also released and the combination of a comic book artist, a novelist and a film director that all live in separate realities, but author stories about one another, sounds super-original and looks really cool.
- We really like the tracks we’ve heard so far from Banks’s upcoming new album The Altar (out 30 September). New track Mind Games is stripped back, downbeat pop at its best.
Have a lovely weekend with hopefully some far more summery weather than we've been experiencing recently. If you have any links you think we might like, or just want to chat, you can find us on Twitter.